Habib Ammari is a Professor of Applied Mathematics at ETH Zürich. Before moving to ETH, he was a Director of Research at the Department
of Mathematics and Applications at Ecole Normale Supérieure in Paris. He received a Bachelor's degree in 1992, a Master's degree in 1993, and a Ph.D. in applied
mathematics in 1995, all from the Ecole Polytechnique, France. Following this, he received a Habilitation degree in Mathematics from the University of
Pierre & Marie Curie in Paris three years later.
Habib Ammari is a world leading expert in wave propagation phenomena in complex media, mathematical modelling in photonics and phononics,
and mathematical biomedical imaging. He has published more than three hundred research papers, nine
high profile research-oriented books and edited eight books on contemporary issues in applied mathematics. He has advised forty PhD
students and twenty seven postdoctoral
researchers. He has one hundred sixty co-authors, originally from thirty six different countries.
Habib Ammari was awarded a European Research Council Advanced Grant in
2010 in recognition of the excellence of his achievements and his
outstanding research program in mathematical imaging. He was named the 2013 winner of the Kuwait Prize in Basic Sciences and received this prestigious prize from His Highness the Emir of Kuwait. In 2015,
he was the recipient of the Khwarizmi International Award in Basic Sciences, which is the highest
honor accorded by His Excellency the President of the Islamic Republic of Iran for intellectual achievement.
Habib Ammari has been a fellow of the Tunisian Academy of Sciences, Letters and Arts since 2015 and
of the European Academy
of Sciences since 2018. Since 2021, he has been also fellow of
Mathematical Society (2022 Class) and the Academia Europaea . He is listed as an
ISI highly cited researcher.
Visiting Professorships MSRI, UC Berkeley, IPAM, UCLA, Seoul National University, Korean Advanced Institute
of Science and Technology, Yonsei University.
Current Research Interests
- Mathematical fundamentals for metamaterials and
topological properties at subwavelength scales
- Super-resolution imaging
- Hybrid medical imaging
- Mathematics for bio-inspired imaging and perception
Graduate Teaching at ETH
Prizes and Awards
- Member of the Academia Europaea, 2021-.
- Fellow of the American Mathematical Society (2022 Class).
- Member of the European Academy of Sciences, 2018-.
- Highly Cited Researcher in Mathematics by Clarivate Analytics, 2016.
- Member of the Tunisian Academy of Sciences, Letters and Arts, 2015-.
- Khwarizmi International Award 2015 in Basic
- Kuwait Prize 2013 in Basic
- European Research
Council Advanced Investigator Grant 2010-2016.
Recent Honors Awarded to Associated People
- Erik O. Hiltunen
- Thea Kosche
- ETH Medal for an outstanding Master thesis, 2022.
- Bryn Davies
- Marie Curie fellowship, Imperial College London, 08.2022-.07-2024.
- Florian Feppon
- Prix Paul Caseau 2020 from the French Academy of Technologies and EDF in the domain of numerical modeling and simulation.
- ECCOMAS PhD Award for the best PhD theses of 2019 on Computational Methods in Applied Science and Engineering.
- Principle lecturer, NSF-CBMS Conference, Auburn University, May 2024.
- HKIAS International Conference on Mathematical Analysis and its Applications, Hong Kong, April 2024.
- International Workshop on Computational Mathematics, Hangzhu, October 2023.
- ENUMATH 2023, Lisbon, September 2023.
- The Second HKSIAM Biennial Conference, Hong Kong, August 2023.
- Neumann-Poincaré Operator, Layer Potential Theory, Plasmonics and Related Topics, Tokyo, August 2023.
- Mathematical Aspects of Condensed Matter Physics, Zürich, July 2023.
- (with H. Kang)
of Small Inhomogeneities from Boundary Measurements, Lecture Notes
in Mathematics, Volume 1846, Springer-Verlag, Berlin 2004.
- (with H. Kang) Polarization
and Moment Tensors: with Applications to Inverse Problems and Effective
Medium Theory. Applied Mathematical Sciences Series, Volume 162,
Springer-Verlag, New York, 2007.
Introduction to Mathematics of Emerging Biomedical Imaging.
Mathématiques et Applications, Volume 62, Springer-Verlag, Berlin,
- (with H. Kang and H. Lee) Layer
Potential Techniques in Spectral Analysis. Mathematical Surveys and
Monographs, Volume 153, American Mathematical Society, Providence, 2009. Citations.
- (with J. Garnier, W. Jing, H. Kang, M. Lim, K. Solna, and H. Wang)
Mathematical and Statistical Methods for Multistatic Imaging.
Lecture Notes in Mathematics, Volume 2098, Springer-Verlag, Cham,
- (with E. Bretin, J. Garnier, H. Kang, H. Lee, and A. Wahab)
Mathematical Methods in Elasticity Imaging. Princeton Series in Applied
Mathematics, Princeton University Press, New Jersey, 2015. Citations.
- (with J. Garnier, H. Kang, L. Nguyen, and L. Seppecher) Multi-Wave Medical Imaging.
Modelling and Simulation in Medical Imaging, Volume 2, World Scientific, London, 2017, 666 pages. Citations.
- (with B. Fitzpatrick, H. Kang, M. Ruiz, S. Yu, and H. Zhang) Mathematical and Computational
Methods in Photonics and Phononics.
Mathematical Surveys and
Monographs, Volume 235, American Mathematical Society, Providence, 2018, 509 pages.
- (with B. Davies) Metamaterial Analysis and Design.
De Gruyter Series in Applied and Numerical Mathematics, volume 9, 2023.
- (with H. Kang) Inverse
Problems, Multi-Scale Analysis, and Homogenization. Contemporary
Mathematics, Volume 408, American Mathematical Society, Providence,
and Computations in Electromagnetics: A Volume Dedicated to Jean-Claude
Nédélec. Lecture Notes in Computational Science and Engineering,
Volume 59, Springer-Verlag, Berlin 2007.
- (with H. Kang) Imaging
Microstructures: Mathematical and Computational Challenges.
Contemporary Mathematics, Volume 494, American Mathematical Society,
Modeling in Biomedical Imaging I: Electrical and Ultrasound
Tomographies, Anomaly Detection, and Brain Imaging. Lecture Notes
in Mathematics: Mathematical Biosciences Subseries, Volume 1983,
Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 2009.
- (with J. Garnier, H. Kang, and K. Solna) Mathematical
and Statistical Methods for Imaging. Contemporary Mathematics,
Volume 548, American Mathematical Society, Providence, 2011.
Modeling in Biomedical Imaging II: Optical, Ultrasound, and
Opto-Acoustic Tomographies. Lecture Notes in Mathematics:
Mathematical Biosciences Subseries, Volume 2035, Springer-Verlag,
- (with Y. Capdeboscq and H. Kang)
Multi-scale and High-Contrast Partial Differential Equations.
Contemporary Mathematics, Volume 577, American Mathematical Society,
- (with J. Garnier) Inverse Problems and Imaging.
Panoramas et synthèses, Volume 44, Société Mathématique de France, 2015.
- (with Y. Capdeboscq, H. Kang, and I. Sim)
Imaging, Multi-Scale and High Contrast PDE.
Contemporary Mathematics, Volume 660, American Mathematical Society,
Former PhD Students
- Natacha Vialle-Béreux
(supervised with J.C. Nédélec), Resonances for Maxwell's
Equations, PhD Thesis, Ecole Polytechnique, December 1998
(Reviewers: M. Costabel and P. Joly).
- Chiraz Latiri (supervised with J.C. Nédélec), Approximate Boundary
Conditions in Electromagnetics, PhD Thesis, Ecole Polytechnique,
November 1999 (Reviewers: G. Bao and P. Monk).
- Abdessatar Khelifi, Electromagnetic Scattering From Small Dielectric
Inhomogeneities, PhD Thesis, Ecole Polytechnique, February 2002
Bruno and M. Yamamoto); HDR 2012.
- Faouzi Triki,
Asymptotics of Resonant Frequencies in Electromagnetics, PhD
Thesis, Ecole Polytechnique, December 2002 (Reviewers: G. Bouchitté
and F. Santosa); HDR 2015.
- Karim Touibi, Imaging Microstructures, PhD Thesis, Ecole
Polytechnique, April 2004 (Reviewers: E.
Beretta and H. Tuong).
- Sofiane Soussi ,
Mathematical Modeling in Optics, PhD Thesis, Ecole
Polytechnique, September 2004 (Reviewers: D. Dobson and E. Bonnetier).
- Ekaterina Iakovleva (supervised with
D. Lesselier), Inverse Scattering from Small Inclusions, PhD
Thesis, Ecole Polytechnique, November 2004 (Reviewers: J. Blum and M. Vogelius).
- Habib Zribi, Layer
Potential Techniques for Sensitivity Analysis, PhD Thesis, Ecole
Polytechnique, December 2005 (Reviewers: G. Dassios and L.
Greengard); HDR 2012.
- Kaouthar Louati, Mathematical Modeling for Corrosion Detection in
Pipelines, PhD Thesis, Ecole Polytechnique, December 2006
(Reviewers: I. Ionescu and B. Maury).
- Anael Dossevi (supervised with L. Garnero), Methods of
Reconstruction of Functional Networks from Cortical Sources Dynamics in
Electro- and Magneto-encephalography, PhD Thesis, Ecole
Polytechnique, December 2007 (Reviewers: H. Benali and J.
- Anastasia Kozhemyak, Mathematical Models and Reconstruction Methods for
Emerging Biomedical Imaging, PhD Thesis, Ecole Polytechnique, June
2008 (Reviewers: M. Asch and V. Komornik).
- Won-Kwang Park
(supervised with D. Lesselier), Inverse Scattering from
Two-Dimensional Thin Inclusions and Cracks, PhD Thesis, Ecole
Polytechnique, February 2009 (Reviewers: E.
Beretta and O. Dorn).
- Pierre Garapon,
Multiscale Elasticity Imaging, PhD Thesis, Ecole Polytechnique,
June 2009 (Reviewers: L.
Greengard and G.
Uhlmann); Best Thesis Prize.
- Sheraz Khan
(supervised with S. Baillet), MEG Source Imaging and Dynamic
Characterization, PhD Thesis, Ecole Polytechnique, January 2010
(Reviewers: A. Djaffari and J. Garnier).
- Lili Guadarrama Bustos, Transient Wave Imaging, PhD Thesis,
Ecole Polytechnique, June 2010 (Reviewers: Y. Capdeboscq and K. Solna).
Bellet (supervised with G. Berginc), Mathematical and Numerical
Methods for Skin Imaging with Polarized Light, PhD Thesis, Ecole
Polytechnique, December 2010 (Reviewers: D. Auroux and D. Fedbacq).
and Simulation in Photoacoustics, PhD Thesis, Ecole
Polytechnique, December 2010 (Reviewers: M. Hanke, J. Schotland, and H.
Zhao); Best Thesis Prize.
- Abdul Wahab,
Imaging of Attenuation in Biological Media, PhD Thesis, Ecole
Polytechnique, November 2011 (Reviewers: M. Bergounioux and O.
- Thomas Boulier
(supervised with J. Garnier), Electro-sensing
for Weakly Electric Fish , PhD Thesis, Ecole Polytechnique, June
2013 (Reviewers: O. Bruno, J.K. Seo, and H. Zhao).
- Laure Giovangigli (supervised with J. Garnier), Mathematical Modeling for Cell
Membrane Imaging, PhD Thesis, University of Paris VII, June
2014 (Reviewers: D. Auroux and J. Schotland).
Seppecher (supervised with J. Garnier), Mathematical Modeling of Biomedical Imaging by Mechanical Perturbations, PhD Thesis, University of Paris VI, June
2014 (Reviewers: O. Scherzer and J. Schotland).
- Pierre Millien (supervised with J. Garnier),
Mathematical Modelling of Hybrid and Nanoparticle
Imaging, PhD Thesis, Ecole Normale Supérieure, June
2015 (Reviewers: S. Arridge, M. Burger, and M. Lassas).
- Timothée Wintz,
Super-Resolution in Wave Imaging, PhD Thesis, Ecole Normale Supérieure, June
2017 (Reviewers: M. Lim and C. Schonlieb).
- Wenlong Zhang (supervised with Z. Chen),
Forward and Inverse Problems Under Uncertaintly, PhD Thesis,
Ecole Normale Supérieure, June
2017 (Reviewers: L. Borcea and J. Garnier).
- Matias Ruiz,
Mathematical Analysis of Plasmonic Resonances for Nanoparticles and Applications, PhD Thesis, Ecole Normale Supérieure, June
2017 (Reviewers: O. Bruno and G. Lebeau).
- Brian Fitzpatrick, Mathematical Analysis of Minnaert Resonances for
Acoustic Metamaterials, PhD Thesis, ETH Zürich, June
2018 (Reviewers: R. Craster and G. Lebeau).
- Wei Wu, Mathematical and numerical frameworks
for metamaterials and metasurfaces, PhD Thesis, ETH Zürich, July
2018 (Reviewers: P. Li and H. Liu).
- Francisco Romero,
Mathematics of Medical Imaging with Dynamic Data,
PhD Thesis, ETH Zürich, July
2018 (Reviewers: J. Garnier and K. Solna).
- Alexander Dabrowski,
Perturbation of eigenvalues and scattering resonances
with applications in imaging, ETH Zürich, December
2018 (Reviewer: N. Nigam).
- Lorenzo Baldassari,
Mathematical models for bio-inspired imaging
and plasmonics, PhD Thesis, ETH Zürich, May
2021 (Reviewer: E. Francini).
- Andrea Scapin,
Mathematics of biomimetics for active echo- and
electro-sensing, PhD Thesis, ETH Zürich, May
2021 (Reviewer: E. Beretta).
- Khtim Imeri, Focusing of Acoustic and Electromagnetic Waves: A Mathematical
Analysis, PhD Thesis, ETH Zürich, May
2021 (Reviewer: H. Zhang).
- Bryn Davies,
Mathematical analysis of subwavelength-metamaterials: sensors, waveguides, and
biomimicry, PhD Thesis, ETH Zürich, May
2021 (Reviewer: O. Bruno).
- Erik Orvehed Hiltunen,
Asymptotic analysis of high-contrast subwavelength resonator structures, PhD Thesis, ETH Zürich, May
2021 (Reviewer: L. Greengard).
Current PhD Students
Silvio Barandun, Jinghao Cao,
Thea Kosche, Liora Rueff, Alexander Uhlmann.
Giovanni Alberti, Elie Bretin,
Giulio Ciraolo, Youjun
Deng, Florian Feppon, Souhir Gdoura, David Gontier,
Wenjia Jing, Kostis Kalimeris, Eunjoo Kim, Mikyoung
Lim, Hyundae Lee, Clair
Poignard, Loc Hoang Nguyen,
Anna Rozanova, Minh Phuong Tran,
Alice Vanel, Han Wang,
Alden Waters, Thomas Widlak,
Sanghyeon Yu, Hai Zhang,
Selected Recent Synergetic Activities
- Member of the European Research Council Starting Grant Panel (PE1),
2013--2019 and Expert for Synergy Calls (2019-).
- Member of the Scientific Review Panel, Hong Kong Laureate Forum 2021.
- Member of the editorial board of SIAM Journal on Applied Mathematics,
SIAM Journal on Imaging Sciences, Journal of Computational Physics, Journal de l'Ecole
Methods in the Applied Sciences,
Inverse Problems and Imaging,
Journal of Inverse and Ill-posed Problems, SN Partial Differential Equations and Applications,
Journal of Computational
Simulation in Medical Imaging, and Zürich Lectures in Advanced Mathematics.
- Member of the Cancer Plan Panel of the French National Institute of
Health and Medical Research, 2011--2014 and 2016.
- Member of the evaluation committee of the Institut de Mathématiques de Marseille, 2016.
- Member of the evaluation panel of INRIA, 2018.
- Co-organizer of CISM Course, Metamaterials in acoustics, electrodynamics and
2021 , CIME-EMS Summer School in Applied Mathematics, Cetraro, 2019
Optical Imaging and Inverse Problems, IMA, Minneapolis, 2017, Novel Optical Materials, IMA, Minneapolis, 2017,
OSA 2016 Mathematics in Imaging,
ICM 2014 Satellite Conference on Imaging, Multi-Scale and High Contrast PDE, CIMPA
School 2013 on Mathematical and Statistical Tools for Imaging,
and Summer School 2012 on Mathematical
and Statistical Methods for Imaging, Chinese Academy of Science.
- Member of the scientific committees of the Applied and Inverse Problems Conferences 2013, 2017, and 2019;
member of the Calderon Prize Committee 2013.
- Member of the Peter Henrici Prize Committee 2019.